Postcards: City Streets & County Roads
Winona in 1861.
Broadway Street in Winona.
Third Street in downtown Winona.
A bird's-eye view of downtown Winona with Main Street in the foreground.
A bird's-eye view of Winona looking up Johnson Street. Old Main of the Normal School (Winona State university, today) is seen at the end of it. After burning in 1922, Somsen Hall was later built in its place. The Winona County Courthouse is to the far right. The light building with the tower to the left is the old Post Office and Federal Building (1892), raised in 1963.
Center Street in Winona with the Trolley line. The Winona streetcars, or trolley line, was first powered by horses and then electric lines overhead.
Before automobiles, a different type of road came to Winona in 1861 when the Winona and St. Peter Line connected to Stockton.
Highway 61, also known as the Great River Road, south of Winona at Twin Bluffs.
The Northwestern Railroad bridge and yards along the Mississippi River in downtown Winona.
The Stockton Hill road was a big road construction feat.
West Burns Valley, southwest of Winona.